I Guess I Went and Broke the Family Tradition
Another holiday approaching that I am likely to spend alone. I try to piece through my thoughts, determine whether that bothers me. But all I come up with is the prospect that I might be bothered at some point, but no real remorse on the horizon. My teacher friend who I had plans with has a sinus infection, has in fact been sick for weeks, but hasn't left the house in days. I sit at home and read Frankenstein, write discussion questions to post to my students online.
—In your opinion, which word used by Frankenstein to describe his creation has the most negative connotation, and why? (creature, daemon, monster, wretch, blot)
—What impact does Shelley's decision not to have Frankenstein explain how he imbues his creation with life have on the story?
Staying in—maybe watching one of my favorite movies of all time (Home for the Holidays) with the cats, making mashed sweet potatoes with ginger and apple, maybe some salmon—sounds so much more appealing than trekking to my Uncle's place an hour away. The hours that must necessarily pass explaining why I'm not eating the turkey (having already not eaten the meat lasagne they served last time), why I'm yawning so much, or pretending to not be elated that Romney wasn't elected, not to be extremely uncomfortable by the long-winded, circled, standing, hand-held prayer: oh, the pure unadulterated effort it would all entail.
How easily solitude becomes the top choice.
—In your opinion, which word used by Frankenstein to describe his creation has the most negative connotation, and why? (creature, daemon, monster, wretch, blot)
—What impact does Shelley's decision not to have Frankenstein explain how he imbues his creation with life have on the story?
Staying in—maybe watching one of my favorite movies of all time (Home for the Holidays) with the cats, making mashed sweet potatoes with ginger and apple, maybe some salmon—sounds so much more appealing than trekking to my Uncle's place an hour away. The hours that must necessarily pass explaining why I'm not eating the turkey (having already not eaten the meat lasagne they served last time), why I'm yawning so much, or pretending to not be elated that Romney wasn't elected, not to be extremely uncomfortable by the long-winded, circled, standing, hand-held prayer: oh, the pure unadulterated effort it would all entail.
How easily solitude becomes the top choice.
